If you love the water, few things are better than boating season. Summer just wouldn’t be summer without spending those long, hot days on the Susquehanna River or the Chesapeake Bay, cooling off with a lazy dip in the water, dropping a line in hopes of catching a “big one,” or having an action-packed day of waterskiing and tubing.
Boating is not without its share of pre-summer preparation. If you’re not on the ball early, it’s easy to find yourself midway through July still on dry land.
At Gunn-Mowery, we want to ensure you’re first in line at the boat launch at the first sign of the season change, so here are a few tips to help you stay ahead of the game:
Boat Prep Tips
- Tune it up. It’s always a good idea to have your boat winterized at the end of each season, but whether you did or didn’t get it done last year, make sure to get a full tune-up before you hit the water this summer.
- Charge it. Make sure your battery is fully charged.
- Clear it out. If there’s a chance any bit of gas from last season is still in your tank, fill it up with fresh gas as well as a stabilizer; this will prevent buildup in the gas lines and injection system.
- Give it a test. Before you get the boat all the way into the water and off the trailer, lower your motor into the water to make sure it will turn over.
- Plug it up. Ensure your drain plug is in and the bilge pump is functioning properly.
- Update the registration. For boating laws and registration information in Pennsylvania, CLICK HERE to visit the website for the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.
- Review your coverage. Take some time to review your boat insurance coverage and make sure all of your coverages are up to date. The right insurance is important to help protect your family, passengers, watercraft, and boating equipment during whatever water adventures come your way this year.
- Double- and triple-check. The last thing you want is to be turned away at the ramp for not having an updated registration or missing your ski flag or life vests. Check that your documents are updated and that your boat is fully stocked with everything that you need.
We at Gunn-Mowery wish you and your family a safe boating season filled with fun, big fish, and great memories!
Get a Free Quote
Buckle up because we are getting ready to launch your insurance to the Upside! An Upside agent will get you a quote in no time.